Health and Safety for Directors and Senior Managers
This course aims to inspire directors and senior managers in terms of their personal interest in and responsibility for the safety, health and wellbeing of people in their organisation.
Bulk discounts apply! Scroll down to find out how much you can save. Please note: discounts will be applied once products are in your basket.
This course is particularly important in light of new sentencing guidelines, which have seen multi-million pound fines imposed on companies for non-fatal as well as fatal accidents and an increase in the number of directors receiving immediate custodial sentences.
“An excellent course, very interactive and made one think. It will be effective in changing senior managers’ thinking and will therefore improve health and safety at JCB.”
Why choose the British Safety Council?
We are one of the world’s leading health and safety organisations
Learning is student-centred and interactive
Our tutors are experts in health and safety and are excellent teachers
Study skills and examination techniques are embedded throughout
What's in it for me?
At the end of the course, directors and senior managers will understand their personal liabilities in relation to health and safety, how to reduce risk in the workplace, and the positive impact that good health and safety can have on the bottom line.
Upon completion of the course, learners will:
- Understand their personal liability in relation to health, safety and welfare in the workplace
- Understand the consequences of failing to manage health, safety in the workplace
- Understand how to reduce risks to people and the business
How can I study?
We recognise that everyone is different, which is why we offer a choice of study routes.
You can attend a course at one of our training centres, complete the course online or we can deliver the course in your workplace.
Online - instant access
If you can’t find time in your busy schedule to attend a classroom course, then online training is the answer.
The online course includes scenario-based interactive exercises, videos, audio narration and the development of a personal action plan.
Perfect for busy directors
Most cost-effective way to study for this qualification
Study wherever and whenever suits you
Our purpose-built learning management system delivers exactly the right e-Learning courses to the right staff at the right time.
The web-based system comes with a powerful yet easy-to-use reporting engine, so you can check on learner progress and be alerted to any concerns that are raised through our innovative self-assessment surveys, which can also be included as part of the course.
Our Enterprise system includes:
- Software as a service. Hosted by us, we do all the IT
- Full implementation support including system training
- Regular system updates Free course updates Simple and secure login
- Configurable alerts system – emails sent where you want, when you want
- Management dashboard, which allows you to instantly see where attention is required
- Automatic refresher training notifications
- Friendly and effective support service by telephone and e-mail.
In your workplace
We can visit your workplace and deliver this one-day course on a date of your choice. This is an effective way of training a group of directors as it saves on travel costs and allows participants to keep in touch with work.
Although we recommend the full 6.5-hour course, a more intensive 4-hour version can be delivered upon request.
Why in your workplace?
Cost-effective option for a group of directors
Discussions can be company-specific
Expert advice from an independent practitioner.
At a training centre
London - Liverpool Street
etc.venues Norton Folgate
etc.venues Norton Folgate Bishopsgate Court 4-12 Norton Folgate London E1 6DQ United Kingdom View in google maps
Thursday 19 September 2019
If you wish to purchase a late booking for this date, please contact our customer services department on +44 (0)20 3510 8355.
London - Kings Cross
The National Education Union
Mabledon Place London WC1H 9BD United Kingdom View in google maps
etc.venues Portland Street
etc.venues Portland Street 11 Portland Street Manchester M1 3HU United Kingdom View in google maps
London - Hammersmith
BSC - Learning Zone
70 Chancellors Road, Hammersmith, London, W6 9RS, United Kingdom View in google maps
By the end of this one-day course students will:
- Understand the health and safety duties placed on organisations and individuals
- Understand the consequences of failing to manage health and safety
- Reflect on the way in which health and safety is led within their own organisation
- Identify improvements to the way in which health and safety is led within their own organisation
- Reflect on their personal leadership in relation to health and safety
- Identify improvements to their personal leadership in relation to health and safety.
The course starts with a scenario-based exercise in which students assume the role of directors of a fictitious company where an accident has resulted in a fatality and a number of serious injuries. The exercise highlights the main legal duties placed on organisations and individuals and the consequences of the accident for the organisation and for individual directors.
Students are challenged to reflect on how well health and safety is being led at their own organisation and what improvements can be made.
- How effective is the health and safety leadership at your organisation?
- Are critical health and safety risks included in overall business risk management?
- Is health, safety and welfare considered in all business decisions?
The focus then switches to the students’ personal leadership in relation to health, safety and welfare. Students are challenged to reflect on this through questions such as:
- Do you integrate health, safety and welfare in all aspects of your day-to-day responsibilities?
- Have you ever challenged a business decision on health and safety grounds?
- Do you model the desired behaviours for health, safety and welfare to your staff?
The course gradually drills deeper into health and safety at the students’ own organisation in terms of health and safety objectives; the health and safety culture; whether enough is being done around mental health and wellbeing; and whether the organisation would satisfy the health and safety leadership requirements in ISO 45001: 2018.
Our well-equipped training centres allow you to get away from the distractions of the workplace and focus on director-level health and safety for the day. Courses are held throughout the year in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Why a training centre?
Free from workplace distractions
Facilitation by an expert tutor
Opportunity to network with other directors.