London Mayor Sadiq Khan says he is “appalled” by an ITV investigation revealing that nearly one in five bus drivers has fallen asleep at the wheel.
News
Mayor pledges 12-month safety overhaul after “appalling” bus driver report
Khan, himself the son of a London bus driver, said he watched the report aired on Wednesday which revealed 17 per cent of drivers have fallen asleep at the wheel and one in four does not have an adequate toilet.
Drivers are resorting to urinating in bottles and working in filthy cabs.
Many were also afraid to speak up and tell their employer.
“The ITV report I found appalling in terms of what drivers are going through,” he said.
“We need to turn this around because clearly things aren't getting better as they should."
An ITV report revealed details of shocking conditions experienced by London bus drivers. Photograph: iStock
In a heated interview with leader of the Conservative Party in the London Assembly, Neil Garratt, Khan faced down accusations that he had failed to do enough to tackle the problem during his 10 years in the job.
In response, Sir Sadiq said that he will be introducing regular reviews of bus schedules and drivers’ hours will be audited to ensure that they comply with national regulations.
“In 12 months’ time we'll see changes brought about by the bus safety improvement including redesigning of bus cabins, improving comfort and the cabin environment,” said Khan.
The ITV report comes after last week’s strike action against working conditions causing fatigue among East London bus drivers.
More than three hundred bus driver members of Unite at Stagecoach’s Bow garage protested between 19 to 22 March against intolerable working conditions.
Unite member Michael Plummer said recent changes to their duties were “unacceptable.”
Another driver told London bus forums, which reported on the strike: “We’re human. But they’re treating us like we’re machines.”
Watch the special ITV report here
NEWS
British Safety Council calls on UK Government to ban silica-containing materials
By British Safety Council on 20 August 2026
British Safety Council has called on the UK Government to ban the import and export of high-silica products within the next five years to protect workers from the risks associated with high-concentration silica containing materials.
Mates in Mind launches free suicide prevention training for construction workers
By Thomas Tevlin on 13 August 2026
Mental health at work charity Mates in Mind has launched new digital training aimed at increasing awareness and reducing suicide amongst sole traders and self-employed construction workers ahead of World Suicide Prevention Day on 10 September.
Hidden Hazards. Recognise Risks. Protect Lives
By British Safety Council on 30 July 2026
British Safety Council launches new flagship campaign to shine a light on hidden hazards in the workplace.