Prosecutions

NEWS: Partners fined after young father electrocuted on farm

By on

The partners of a Suffolk based farm have been sentenced after a haulage contractor was killed by an overhead power line strike.


Basildon Magistrates’ Court heard how Mr Christopher Wilson, a haulage driver, was killed in an ‘easily preventable’ incident while at work at Airfield Grain store, Parham near Framlingham, Suffolk on 30 August 2016.

The court heard how his raised tipping trailer made contact with overhead power lines that ran across part of the yard hard standing at store on the site managed by Nicholas and Roger Watts, partners of F S Watts & Sons. He was electrocuted and died at the scene.

HSE found in its investigation that the firm had failed to take suitable precautions for work near the overhead electric power lines despite recommendations given to them by NFU Mutual Risk Management Services (NFU RMS).

Mr Nicholas Watts and Mr Roger Watts each pleaded guilty to breaching regulation 3(1)(a) contrary to regulation 14, of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 and each was fined £9,500 and ordered to pay costs of £4,700.

Investigating HSE inspector Saffron Turnell said: “This tragic incident led to the avoidable death of a young father. This death could easily have been prevented if those in control of operations at the grain store had acted to identify and manage the risks involved and put a safe system of work in place.”

PROSECUTIONS


Tyne And Wear Metro Sign Post Photo ORR

Metro operator fined £1.5m after worker electrocuted by live wire

By Belinda Liversedge on 07 May 2021

A worker who died at a Metro train depot in South Gosforth had been previously seriously injured while working for the same firm, a court heard.



Enviraz Min

Fatal gas explosion could have ‘easily been avoided’

By Belinda Liversedge on 30 April 2021

An asbestos removal contractor has been fined £150,000 after a worker was killed after he cut through a live gas pipe which the company had failed to isolate.



Prince Of Wales 1 MED

Britannia Hotels fined 80K after woman falls through rusted railings

By Belinda Liversedge on 16 April 2021

A woman was left with life changing injuries after she plunged 6 foot down into a basement lightwell through rusted railings at the Prince of Wales Hotel in Southport.