Please arrive by 0845 to register your attendance. The course will start promptly at 0900 and finish between 1630 – 1700.
Verifying your identity
As this is a qualification course, you are required to verify your identity. If you are not able to verify your identity, you will not be allowed to complete the assessment.
To verify your identity, please bring photographic ID such as:
National identity card
This one-day qualification course, jointly developed by the National Examination Board for Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) will give you the skills needed to conduct an incident investigation unaided, and then produce and implement an action plan to help prevent a recurrence.
Prior to the course, you should:
- Read and understand the requirements of your organisation’s incident investigation policy;
- Review a sample of your organisation’s previous incident investigation reports (if possible) to find what lessons have been learnt;
- Review some of the incident investigation case studies from the HSE’s website that are relevant to your organisation (hse.gov.uk/slips/casestudies.htm)
- Moral, legal and financial arguments for investigations
- Human and organisational factors that can contribute to an incident
- The process for investigating incidents
- Positive interview strategies and the barriers to successful interviews
- An introduction to advanced incident investigation techniques
- The practical assessment takes place on the day and lasts for an hour
- Students work individually under examination conditions
- You will be provided with an ‘evidence pack’ relating to an incident
- You will be shown a short video showing interviews with the injured party and witnesses
- You will evaluate each of the interviews, noting good and bad practices
- Based on the evidence, you will produce an action plan to help prevent recurrence of the incident
- The assessment is marked by the tutor after the course
- Successful students are awarded a NEBOSH qualification certificate
- If you are unsuccessful at the first attempt, we will provide support for your resubmission
- Any resubmissions will be charged at the standard assessment fee
Our training policies
Our training policies can be viewed here.
NEBOSH terms and conditions
NEBOSH General Student Terms and Conditions can be found here.
There will be a feedback form to complete at the end of the course. As well as providing feedback to the British Safety Council, you are able to provide feedback directly to NEBOSH ([email protected]) and to their regulator, the Scottish Qualifications Authority ([email protected]).