Prosecutions

Modus Workspace fined £1.1m after worker falls inspecting leak

By on

A London refurbishment company has been fined after a worker fell 3m, suffering serious injuries.


Luton Crown Court heard that on 5 September 2016, an engineer was testing a sprinkler system for leaks at a site in Hemel Hempstead. He climbed onto an internal roof and was inspecting the leak from an extension ladder.

The ladder slipped away from him and he fell almost three metres into the gap between the internal roof and the external wall. The worker suffered severe blood loss, amounting to around half of his bloodstream. He required a blood transfusion and needed 14 stiches to his head.  He also sustained a fractured vertebrae and suffered soft tissue damage.

An investigation by HSE found that reasonably practicable measures had not been taken to prevent a fall from the internal roof for both the engineer and other contractors working on the roof.

The investigation found that Modus Workspace Limited, the principal contractor, had failed to discharge its duty to ensure those not in their employment were not exposed to risks, in particular that of falling from height.

Modus Workspace Limited of Greencoat Place, London was found guilty after a five-week trial of breaching Section 3 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The company was fined £1.1 million and ordered to pay costs of £68,116.18.

Investigating HSE inspector John Berezansky, commented: “This case highlights the importance of taking reasonably practicable measures when planning and managing the risks regarding work at height within the construction industry.

“Falls from height remain one of the most common causes of work-related fatalities and injuries in this country and the risks and control measures associated with working at height are well known.

“The engineer’s injuries were life changing and he could have easily been killed. This serious incident and devastation could have been avoided if basic safety measures had been put in place.”

PROSECUTIONS


Tyne And Wear Metro Sign Post Photo ORR

Metro operator fined £1.5m after worker electrocuted by live wire

By Belinda Liversedge on 07 May 2021

A worker who died at a Metro train depot in South Gosforth had been previously seriously injured while working for the same firm, a court heard.



Enviraz Min

Fatal gas explosion could have ‘easily been avoided’

By Belinda Liversedge on 30 April 2021

An asbestos removal contractor has been fined £150,000 after a worker was killed after he cut through a live gas pipe which the company had failed to isolate.



Prince Of Wales 1 MED

Britannia Hotels fined 80K after woman falls through rusted railings

By Belinda Liversedge on 16 April 2021

A woman was left with life changing injuries after she plunged 6 foot down into a basement lightwell through rusted railings at the Prince of Wales Hotel in Southport.