Waste management company, Peter Norris (Haulage) Ltd has been fined £140,000 after an agency worker suffered lower leg amputation after being struck by a moving excavator.
On 12 September 2017, the worker, who had been observing a tipping activity in the blind spot of the excavator, had his leg crushed by the machine which had reversed to accommodate another vehicle tipping off waste in an adjacent part of the site.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found no evidence of any system whereby new agency hired staff were shown the site’s safety rules. Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard this meant the injured worker was unaware he should stand in the safe refuge areas while vehicles were moving around the site.
Peter Norris (Haulage) Ltd of Tower Bridge House, St Katharine’s Way, London, pleaded guilty to a breach of Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work eAct 1974. The company was fined £140,000 and ordered to pay full costs of £9,322.48.
Speaking after the hearing, investigating HSE inspector John Spence said: “This incident was entirely preventable and has caused a permanent and life-changing injury to a young agency worker.
“The company failed to implement an adequate system of monitoring of agency workers on site who were therefore, in effect, left to manage themselves without necessary oversight from the company.
“Any company that uses agency workers are required to extend the same duty of care to them as their own direct employee.”
By Belinda Liversedge on 07 May 2021
A worker who died at a Metro train depot in South Gosforth had been previously seriously injured while working for the same firm, a court heard.
By Belinda Liversedge on 30 April 2021
An asbestos removal contractor has been fined £150,000 after a worker was killed after he cut through a live gas pipe which the company had failed to isolate.
By Belinda Liversedge on 16 April 2021
A woman was left with life changing injuries after she plunged 6 foot down into a basement lightwell through rusted railings at the Prince of Wales Hotel in Southport.