Meat manufacturer, Karro Foods Ltd, has been fined over £1.8m after two workers stepped on the same fragile rooflight, sustaining serious injuries in the fall.
The two workers had been investigating a leak from the roof at Karro Foods’ Malton site in Yorkshire when the incident occurred on 13 April 2016, Leeds Magistrates’ Court heard.
Unknown to the pair, the roof had several rooflights. The workers were walking closely together and both fell 4m through the rooflight which gave way due to their weight.
One worker suffered four fractured ribs, a punctured lung, and muscular bruises to his outer right thigh.
The other suffered a fractured skull, muscular injuries to his right leg and injuries inside his ear. He has ongoing problems with balance, memory and mental health.
An investigation by HSE found the roof was made of asbestos cement and had several rooflights along it which were not visible due to a build-up of moss and dirt. Employees had also not been made aware of them.
Karro Foods Ltd of Norton Grove Industrial Estate, Malton, Yorkshire pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. The company was fined £1,866,000 plus £8,019 in costs.
Investigating HSE inspector Mark Slater said after the hearing on 22 March: “This was a wholly avoidable incident, caused by the failure of the company to provide adequate controls against the risks arising from working at height.
“Consideration of roof fragility and rooflights, visible or not, should be made, especially on older buildings.”
By Belinda Liversedge on 28 July 2021
The government has expanded daily contact testing with 1,200 new sites across frontline sectors, helping to avoid disruption to crucial services.
By Belinda Liversedge on 26 July 2021
93 per cent of firms plan to adopt hybrid working models, according to a Confederation of British Industry (CBI) report.
By Belinda Liversedge on 13 July 2021
Experience has taught us that we can’t guarantee people will behave responsibly to prevent Covid transmission and wear masks, the chair of the British Safety Council has warned.