Tendring District Council has been fined after a member of public contracted Legionnaires’ Disease having been a regular user of its leisure centre facilities.
Colchester Magistrates’ Court heard how the member of public frequently used the showers at Walton Lifestyles when, in November 2016, he fell seriously ill and was taken to hospital where he remained for 18 days.
He was diagnosed with Legionnaires’ disease, sepsis, pneumonia and chronic kidney failure.
Water samples taken from the men’s shower tested positive for the legionella bacteria. Legionella bacteria can proliferate in hot and cold water systems that aren’t properly maintained or cleaned.
An investigation by HSE found Tendring District Council had failed to adequately manage the water systems at a number of leisure centres in the district, including Walton Lifestyles, Dovercourt Lifestyles and Clacton Leisure Centre.
The significant failings included not having suitable and sufficient Legionella Risk Assessments for the leisure facilities and not providing adequate control measures required for Legionella control.
Staff were not adequately trained and a lack of monitoring meant these failings went unnoticed for several months.
Tendring District Council of Town Hall, Station Road, Clacton-on-Sea, Essex pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and has been fined £ 27,000 and ordered to pay costs of £ 7,500.
Speaking after the case, investigating HSE inspector Tania van Rixtel said: “Hot and cold water systems can provide the ideal breeding ground for the potentially fatal legionella bacteria if certain control measures are not in place. Controls such as maintaining water temperatures, regular flushing of low-use outlets and adequate cleaning are all necessary in order to reduce the risk of legionella developing.
“Tendring District Council failed to ensure controls such as these were being implemented therefore causing a potential risk to human health. This could have easily been a fatality and given the number of people who use the facilities, the potential legionella risk to the public would have been significant.”
By Thomas Tevlin on 31 March 2020
Big businesses in India have been urged to direct their corporate social responsibility (CSR) spending on helping to fight the coronavirus pandemic after the government confirmed that such expenditure would be covered by the CSR spending rules.
By Belinda Liversedge on 30 March 2020
Calls are mounting for the government to provide clarity over which workplaces should close to prevent the transmission of the coronavirus.
By Belinda Liversedge on 26 March 2020
HSE could use its powers to shut businesses down if they fail to take measures to protect the health and welfare of their staff during the coronavirus pandemic, its chief executive Sarah Albon has said.