News

BAM in dock after worker electrocuted

By on

BAM Construction Limited has been fined £260,000 after a worker was electrocuted by an overhead power line at a railway operating centre in Basingstoke. Shoreland Projects Limited, the groundworks contractor BAM appointed for the work, was also fined.


Winchester Crown Court heard that on 26 January 2015, workers had been installing lamp posts on the site entrance road for a project undertaken for Network Rail.

Mark Bradley was seriously injured when the fifth lamp post touched the 11kV overhead power lines as it was being lifted into position. A colleague rushed to his aid and managed to use a piece of timber to push him away from the lamp column.

Investigating HSE inspector William Christie said: “This entirely preventable incident has had a permanent and very substantial effect on Mark’s life.

“Overhead power lines pose a significant threat to the safety of workers. Construction work in the vicinity of live conductors must be properly planned, managed and monitored to ensure the risks are controlled.”

BAM Construction Limited, of Breakspear Way, Hemel Hempstead, pleaded guilty to breaching regulation 14 of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 and was ordered to pay costs of £9,415.13.

Shoreland Projects Limited was fined £22,000 after pleading guilty to the same breach and ordered to pay costs of £8,442.53.

NEWS


Child Mask Istock 1226242778 Izusek MED

Parents urge minister to extend mask use in schools

By Belinda Liversedge on 06 May 2021

A coalition of concerned parents, students and unions have written to education secretary, Gavin Williamson urging him to extend mask use in schools.



Man Welding In Workshop Photograph Istock 520330786 Maki Shmaki

HSE launches lungs-focused programme of inspections for May

By Belinda Liversedge on 05 May 2021

HSE is launching a programme of inspections focused on lung health this month.



HOL geograph-2301374-by-Stephen-Richards.jpg (1)

MPs vote for fire safety costs to be passed onto leaseholders

By Belinda Liversedge on 29 April 2021

MPs have for the third time voted down amendments in the Fire Safety Bill that would prevent fire safety remediation works being passed onto leaseholders.