For over sixty years the British Safety Council has been a trusted leader in health, safety and environmental management. We are looking for a passionate and effective Head of Policy and Communications to join our team. This is a key role within the organisation, responsible for leading policy, campaigns, research, and publications.
Our vision is a very simple one; that ‘No one should be injured or made ill through their work’. We believe that this is now more important than ever.
Although we are a not-for-profit organisation undertaking extensive charitable work, we do not fundraise, nor do we receive any Government grants. Therefore, the provision of our products and services are critical to our success; these include training, digital learning, publications, audit, consultancy, awards, and events. At our heart we’re a membership organisation; we have over 3,500 corporate members in over 59 countries.
Reporting to the Policy & Engagement Director, you will lead on British Safety Council’s policy development, campaigning, lobbying, thought leadership, public relations, and publications activity. You will have responsibility for ensuring that the organisation has a leading and influential voice on worker health, safety, and wellbeing with members, media, journalists, external influencers, government, Parliament, the EU, industry regulators, local government, and non-departmental public bodies.
The successful Head of Policy & Communications will have:
- Experience in leading and managing policy, research, public relations, and public affairs
- Have excellent written English, speaking, and networking skills
- Sound experience in the workings of government and parliamentary procedure
- A strong understanding of the external political environment and political developments
- Be able to evidence securing effective outcomes through campaigning, lobbying, research and advocacy activities
- Experience of/ability to manage a small team
- Have the ability to work collaboratively
- The ability to balance competing priorities and work rapidly and flexibly
- Some exposure to editorial management work.
This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate who is passionate about making a true difference to the health, safety, and wellbeing of millions of workers around the globe, especially in this challenging time. The role will require occasional travel.
Salary: Circa £60,000
Location: London with flexible/remote working
Employment type: Permanent, full-time
- 25 days’ holidays
- Health cash plan benefits from the first day of joining
- Private medical and dental cover
- Bike scheme for work and leisure
- Company pension
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
What you need to do next?
If you are interested in this role, please click 'Apply Now' to read a more detailed job description. You will then be able to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV along with a covering letter explaining why you think you are the right candidate for this role.
Please note, applications will be reviewed, and interviews conducted throughout the duration of this advert therefore we may at any time bring the closing date forward. We encourage all interested applicants to apply as soon as practical.
Guaranteed interview scheme
We are committed to the employment and career development of disabled people. As part of this commitment we operate a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the role they have applied for.